Examined the tree destruction on site: A reflection of colonial policy

img

ŞIRNEX — Peoples’ Equality and Democracy (DEM) Party MP Newroz Uysal Aslan conducted an inspection in the Besta region where tree destruction continues, stating, “We observed first hand the ecocide that reflects colonial policies. We demand an end to this situation.”

Ecocide policies, implemented as part of a special war strategy, have been ongoing without pause, with Şirnex (Şırnak) being one of the regions most heavily affected. For over five years, systematic environmental devastation has been carried out in Gabar and Cudî mountains and the Besta region. 
 
Despite public outcry, political parties and civil society organization have repeatedly organized protests and events to halt the deforestation. The Şırnak Ecology Platform launched a petition campaign on July 29, gathering over 10 thousand signatures against the ecological destruction. In response to increasing criticism, the Şırnak Governorship claimed that the tree cutting had stopped. 
 
In the 1990s, 18 villages in Besta were evacuated under the pretext of security. Since 2018, tree cutting has continued, with special roads constructed to transport the felled trees. The Bişiye Reş area, considered the entrance to Besta, serves as a storage site for cut oak trees just 500 meters from a military outpost (Berê Adga). Tons of stacked oak wood are also found three kilometres away near the Milkê Tavê thermal springs. 
 
The tree cutting originally started in parts of Besta within Şırnak’s provincial borders as now extended to the Girê Gûza area in Omyanis village, Berwarî (Pervari) district of Sêrt (Siirt).
 
 
Newroz Uysal Aslan, who inspected the ecological damage on site, commented: “We see the results of years of tree destruction. ‘Security’ is used as a pretext, but this is an attack on collective memory. People who once said ‘I will return to my village one day’ now face a deforested and unliveable area. Many legal applications have yielded no results. Officials try to continue ecocide with an approach that avoids responsibility.”
 
RESPONSE TO GOVERNORSHIP'S CLAIMS
 
Addressing the Şırnak Governorship’s verbal claims that cutting had stopped, Newroz Uysal Aslan said: “What we saw contradicts their statement. Newly cut trees are stacked here. Previously, trees were transported through Şırnak city, but now special roads have been built due to public reaction. This systematic ecocide is carried out under military and police watch by village guards. We witnessed ecocide as a reflection of colonial policy. We demand an end to this. But ending it is not enough, who is responsible for years of continuous tree cutting? Who won the contracts? Through which intermediaries were the villagers pressured? These trees were cut under the guise of special security zones without villagers’ consent. Where were these trees transported and sold, and who profited? These must be revealed, with legal and administrative investigations initiated to hold perpetrators accountable.”
 
ECOCIDE AS PART OF THE SPECIAL WAR
 
 
Referring to the Peace and Democratic Society Process initiated by Kurdish People’s Leader Abdullah Ocalan, Newroz Uysal Aslan said: “Ecoocide, tree cutting and special security zones are parts of the ongoing war. These must end and real reconciliation must happen. Plans and projects should be developed to halt ecological destruction, involving not only government officials and select groups but also the local people who live off the land, air, water, and trees here.”
 
‘KURDS EXIST ALONGSIDE THEIR NATURE’
 
Describing Şirnex as a reflection of the ecocide occurring in Kurdistan, Newroz Uysal Aslan stressed: “This is not just about war and security policies. It also reflects neoliberal policies and capitalist greed towards nature. The ‘Commission on National Solidarity, Fraternity and Democracy’, formed to resolve the Kurdish issue, must work to stop ecocide. A genuine solution requires respecting the graves, condolences, nature, and land of all Kurds. Kurds exist through their language, memory, culture, water and trees. For this, as part of this process, the lands of Kurds must be fully opened and ecological destruction must end.”
 
MA / Emrullah Acar
 

View More Articles

29/08/2025
14:42 Attack on prisoners in Dumlu Prison
14:25 UN: 841 people executed in Iran in 8 months
13:45 Third day of the 'Social Democratic Alliance Conference'
12:40 Commission should listen to Abdullah Öcalan says Lawyer Ekin Yeter Moray
11:20 Öcalan must be released if there is to be real peace
10:06 Öcalan: Democratic society, peace and integration are three key concepts of process
09:39 Programme for World Peace Day in Êlih announced
09:35 DEM Party’s Çetin Yıldız calls for participation in Kadıköy peace rally
09:34 Human rights activist calls for dialogue with Abdullah Öcalan and legal reforms
09:32 Documentary “Bîra Sûrê” sheds light on destroyed memory of Sur
09:31 New bore being drilled in Basa: Nature destruction to deepen
28/08/2025
16:36 SOHR: Transitional government executed 95 Druze
16:09 Rojava can be a peace project for the Middle East says Salih Muslim
16:00 Reaction to attempt to demolish the gravestone of Önkol siblings
15:44 Letter from 107 international organisations to the UN on Afghanistan
15:36 TJK-E calls for global outcry against executions in Iran
14:00 ‘Right to hope" must be implemented says former Speaker of Parliament Arınç
12:27 Former Speakers of Parliament at the Commission meeting
10:25 DEM Party delegation set off for İmralı to meet Öcalan
09:16 23 suspicious deaths and 3 femicides in 8 months: There is no perpetrator
09:15 Blocking Kurdish language violates the spirit of peace, says Peace Mother
09:13 Expectations from the Commission in Amed and Wan
09:12 Release of prisoner delayed for 3 months for not comment on 'process'
27/08/2025
16:45 Demands from TBB President to Commission
15:32 Legal framework to be discussed for the Commission says Parliament Speaker
13:54 Kurdish Women's National Union: Death sentences must be cancelled
13:22 ‘Öcalan should be heard by parliament commission’
10:57 Call to women for September 1: Let’s gather at the Kadıköy rally
09:53 She lost two children in conflict: We want our language and identity
09:39 Ministry's response to 'condolence ban': The family left of their own accord!
09:27 'The commission is working, but isolation continues'
26/08/2025
16:41 Attempt to demolish grave by military in Licê
16:27 Conditions of Öcalan must be improved says DEM Party Spokesperson
16:16 179 people executed in a month
14:34 Woman activist sentenced to one year in Iran
13:58 Öcalan must be heard as the primary party to the process says DEM Party MP
11:59 Transfer of prisoner refusing to go to hospital in slippers cancelled
10:26 İmralı Delegation to go to İmralı on Thursday to meet Öcalan
10:09 Mandela's lawyer: Öcalan's statements provide hope for peace and justice for all
09:46 246 journalists killed in Gaza since 7 October
25/08/2025
16:26 Schedule of 6th and 7th meetings of the Commission announced
13:53 DEM Party İmralı Delegation to go to İmralı this week
09:34 ‘Organizing struggle for equal and free life crucial in upcoming period’
09:33 Zeki Bayhan’s letter on isolation translated into three languages
09:32 Free dialogue conditions needed for Abdullah Öcalan, says Red Party Secretary
09:31 Prisoners face book bans and restrictions on activities due to alleged staff shortages
09:30 Xwebûn out with headline 'Language is the redline'
24/08/2025
17:01 New constitution call to women: Let's make our word common
16:56 ‘Kurds and Turks at a historic crossroads: Peace must be unconditionally supported’
15:54 Statement from Autonomous Administration regarding elections